Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Green Tea Cake with buttercream and fondant roses

So, being the goofball I am, I missed one of my best friends' birthdays. To make it up to her, I'm planning a small party - the two of us, some food, some tea and a lot of catching up.

This is especially fun because both my equipment and supplies are limited...luckily, the all-purpose store on campus in this tiny town has a decent variety of ingredients.

Their latest stock included fish sauce and flat rice noodles, along with some tiny frozen prawns. I decided to take advantage of that, and the menu for tomorrow includes Pad Thai, and Green Tea Butter Cake with buttercream icing and fondant flowers.

I'm especially excited since this is my first time using fondant. It's this amazing marshmallow fondant recipe that I can't bring myself to taste out of fear of sugar shock, but which is ridiculously easy to make. The fondant roses got better with practice, and they're nothing that well-greased fingers and work surfaces can't handle.

Lacking cake decorating ingredients like luster powder or flower nails, everything got done pretty much by hand - and the trusty hand blender.

Find the dry fondant recipe at eHow (I cut it down to 1/8th and still had lots left over), as well as the green tea cake recipe; and the buttercream icing is from Wilton's classic recipes (I replaced the vanilla essence with green tea paste).

No comments: